Whether you’re planning your first move or your 10th, relocating always comes with its fair share of questions. If you’re somewhat familiar with the moving process, you might not encounter as many conundrums as someone who’s never moved before, but when it comes to relocating, only the pros know everything. No matter your level of moving experience, you’re bound to have at least a couple of questions as you prepare to relocate and inch closer to your move date.
Lucky for you, our team at Hedberg Moving Solutions is here to help. Below, we’re sharing answers to some of our most frequently asked moving questions to help you better understand what to expect.
Is There a “Best” Time to Move?
Honestly, not really. The best time for you to move depends on your relocation needs and why you’re relocating. Most families move between Memorial Day and Labor Day since school is out of session. If you plan on hiring a moving company and want to move during summer, you might find it tough to secure the date(s) you’re looking for.
If you want as little competition for your preferred moving company and move dates as possible, it’s probably best to opt for a fall or early winter move. If you don’t have kids, spring is also a good time to move, especially during the latter portion of the season while school is still in session and fewer families are planning relocations.
When Should I Book a Moving Company?
Ideally, you’ll want to book a moving company about three months out from your move date. However, if you can get it done even earlier than that, we’d recommend doing so. The earlier you book your movers, the more likely you are to secure the dates you’re looking for.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Professional Moving Company?
The cost of hiring a professional moving company depends on several factors. Most companies charge a flat base rate regardless of the distance of the move. On top of that, you’ll pay additional fees based on the distance of your relocation and the weight of your goods. The primary factors that will determine the overall cost of your move include:
● Whether you plan to opt for full packing services
● The number of miles you’re traveling
● The total weight of the items you plan to transport
● The cost of your moving insurance plan (if you opt for higher-level coverage beyond the required liability coverage that comes standard with your contract)
● The number of movers required to get the job done
● Whether you need to rent a storage unit operated by the moving company
How Do I Tell If a Moving Company Is Legit?
It’s pretty easy to tell if a moving company is reputable and provides high-quality service. Here’s what you need to look for:
● Reviews from past customers
● Licensing and insurance
● Comprehensive estimates
● Transparent rates
● Written documentation
● A presence on the web and trust signals from quality websites, such as BBB and Angie’s List
If a moving company strikes you as being shady, it’s in your best interest to keep your options open. Get moving estimates from at least three companies, and if you don’t love any of them, keep looking. It’s your stuff after all, so never settle for a company you don’t feel like you can truly trust.
How Do I Pack My Stuff Safely?
The best way to ensure you’re things are packed safely and securely is to hire professional packers to handle the job for you. But if you’re not keen on paying for full packing services, the safest way to pack your things really depends on what you’re packing.
Wardrobe boxes offer excellent protection for your clothing while professional moving boxes provide the best protection for everything else. While you can certainly go out and find used boxes at local department stores or grocery stores, we don’t recommend it. Those boxes rarely hold up well throughout a move, so it’s in your best interest to purchase dedicated packing materials from a moving supplies company.
Check out our tips for packing fragile items and packing electronics as these things are the most prone to damage during the move process.
What Does Items of Extraordinary Value Mean?
In the moving world, extraordinary value refers to anything with a value that exceeds $100. For insurance purposes, these items must be listed, and you’ll get an inventory form to list them on. Usually, items of extraordinary value include art, jewelry, fine china, collectibles, antiques, etc.
How Should I Transport My Houseplants?
If you’re hiring a moving company, they won’t transport your houseplants, so you’ll need to arrange another way to move them. You can transport them in the back of your vehicle, or if you’re moving locally, you may be able to rent a van to take care of the job. Just make sure you wrap them well and keep a consistent temperature in the transport vehicle to avoid unintentional damage.
What Does Moving Insurance Cover?
Moving insurance covers items that get lost or incur damage during your move. The level of coverage you get depends on the type of insurance you select. Here’s what you should know:
● Released value protection. This level of coverage is as basic as it gets, which is why it’s also referred to as basic liability protection. Currently, released value protection will reimburse you $0.60 per pound per item, which is likely a far cry from the full replacement value of most of your things. Released value protection comes standard when you hire a moving company.
● Full value protection. This level of protection is a step up from released value protection, but you must purchase this plan separately. If any of your belongings get lost or suffer damage during your move, this plan will reimburse you for the current market value of the item, replace it with a similar item, or pay to repair damages.
● Separate liability policies. Your moving company might offer additional liability policies that offer more coverage, which you can purchase separately. If you own your home, your homeowner's insurance policy may also offer coverage for moving, so it’s in your best interest to review your benefits to find out if already have some degree of coverage.
Looking for Professional Movers in Minneapolis? Hedberg Moving Solutions Is at Your Service
If you’re planning a move anywhere in Minnesota, let our team at Hedberg Moving Solutions help take the weight off your shoulders! We specialize in full packing services, senior moving, storage solutions, and a variety of other moving services designed to streamline and simplify your relocation. To learn more about how we can help you, feel free to give us a call today at 763-434-6683 or request a free estimate, and we’ll be in touch!
Contact Us for More Information